return of representatives of the Moldovan Scientific Diaspora
”ADDRESSING BRAIN-DRAIN THROUGH THE TEMPORARY RETURN OF THE EXPATRIATED MOLDOVAN SCIENTIST TO STRENGTHEN MOLDOVA AS A RESEARCH & DEVELOPMENT HUB AND TO PROMOTE TEMPORARY AND PERMANENT RETURN AND SKILLS TRANSFER”
The International Organization for Migration, Mission in the Republic of Moldova, in partnership with the Center of International Projects of the Academy of Sciences of Moldova will support on a competitive basis 30 researchers – members of Moldovan Scientific Diaspora (MSD) willing to come to Moldova for a short-term visit of 7 – 11 days in order to perform research activities at one of R&D institutions or universities of Moldova. The short-term visit is planned during November 1, 2014 – March 31, 2015. IOM and ASM shall offer to the program beneficiaries the financial support to cover the travel costs and the daily allowance. The call for proposal, as well as the application form are available on:www.asm.md and www.iom.md
This program is open to researchers originated from Moldova who are currently working abroad at R&D institutions or universities in any field of basic and applied sciences and have work experience there for a period of minimum 3 years.
Applications to this program must be submitted at least four weeks prior to the intended date of travel. Grants will be awarded subject to the result of the contest and availability of funds.
This initiative is the result of a pilot program, launched in 2010, and implemented successfully during 2010-2012, where over 30 SDM from 13 countries benefitted of support and developed short term research activities within at universities and R&D institutions from Moldova. The research collaboration between SDM and their colleagues from Moldovan Institutions; where delivered lectures and guidance to license, Master’s and PhD theses students and made joint publications were published in national and international journals etc.
Project Objective: Improve Moldova’s capacity to enhance the development impact of circular migration through temporary return of highly qualified MSD members in the field of R&D.
Opportunities: Through this program, MSD members will have the opportunity to:
- Contribute by knowledge share to the development of R&D sector in Moldova;
- Establish new and renew previous collaborations with their Moldovan counterparts;
- Promote the integration of Moldovan researchers with the international scientific community;
- Strengthen partnership relations with the Moldovan researchers, which might lead to cooperation within international programs such as EU/FP7, EU/FP “Horizon 2020”, SCOPES, NATO Science for Peace Program, ENPI, etc;
- Get involved in the educational process (undergraduate, postgraduate, PhD, etc)
- Share experience with their Moldovan counterparts on how to improve project proposal writing skills;
- Serve as independent experts in the evaluation of national projects, programs, strategies of development, laws, etc;
- Contribute to the development of joint research publications to be published in Moldova and abroad;
- Participate in informational campaigns to raise society’s awareness on brain drain and mechanisms for stemming this process.